Anniversary interview with Alice von Hildebrand

Jul. 17 at 1:47pm

Dietrich and Alice von Hildebrand were married on July 16th, 1959.

In honor of the occasion, I interviewed her yesterday evening here at our summer home in New Hampshire.

Click here to hear the recording

PS: "Gogi" and "Gogo" were von Hildebrand's nicknames.

PPS: Sorry about the barking dog early in!  Happily, it only lasts only a few minutes.

Rhett Segall

Thank you, Katie, for sharing your interview with Alice. It was wonderful to get to know Dietrich better. His writings have been very important in my life. I particularly delighted in the anecdotes about the  (1) dogs yelping (Alice does a very nice imitation by the way!) illustrating Dietrich’s depth of concentration,(2)  his mastery of the European train schedules enabling him to go to daily mass and, (3)  his intensity in conversation which would leave his beloved sisters exhausted.

Our love and admiration for the man pushes us to want to know more! For myself, I’ve read Alice’s biography of Dietrich a number of times. But there still are gaps in his life that I would love to fil, particularly iaboutGretchen’s death and about  their son Franzi.

#1 - Jul. 18 at 11:55am | quote

Rhett Segall

I am aware of a couple of anecdotes about Dietrich which may not be familiar to the members of the Personalist Project:

Dietrich gave a talk at the University of Dayton sometime in the 60s. His host, who was a philosophy professor at the University, told me that as he was heading on to the tarmac  to see him off, Dietrich’s final words to him were “Tu  es Petrus”.

Secondly, and apropos of your reflection on the hierarchy of values, Dietrich was awarded by some group a prize for his book “Transformation in Christ”.  The award was presented to him by Jacques Maritain. Dietrich’s response was not so much rejoicing at the award, but elation at hearing that a priest was brought back to Christ through the book. (I’m not sure where I heard this)

#2 - Jul. 18 at 11:58am | quote

Thanks, Rhett!

Since I have the great joy and privilege of having Lily with me for the next several weeks, if you have questions, or want to hear her speak on a particular theme, let me know, and I try to capture her response.

#3 - Jul. 18 at 1:26pm | quote

Rhett Segall

Thanks Katie.

My questions then are:

1. When did Gretchen die?  Was it connected with the high blood pressure referred to in “The Soul of a Lion?”

2. I heard someplace that Franzi had gone to South America and that he did not share his father’s perspective.  Is this true? Were they estranged?

Shalom,

Rhett

#4 - Jul. 18 at 4:35pm | quote

Tonight I recorded Lily answering your questions, Rhett. Then, in my clumsiness, accidentally deleted.  Will try again tomorrrow or Thursday.

#5 - Jul. 23 at 8:38pm | quote

To comment, please sign in or register first. (It's free and easy, and helps us prevent spam.)

• Re: Juan Antonio and the Personalist Manager