#1, Jan 19, 2012 8:46pm

Don't just link, say something about the link.  Why did you link?  What strikes you about the article?

Tim Cronin

#2, Jan 20, 2012 9:59pm

:) I think the link offers a way to understand the unity of knowledge when love and gift are understood to be constitutive of our being. The article also displays what is wrong with the fragmented viewpoint that current scientific philosophy offers.

#3, Jan 21, 2012 1:47pm

Thanks for taking my comment in the light-hearted way I meant it, Tim.

I'm so grateful that I might even click the link and read the article, though, to be perfectly honest, I often find Dr. Schindler's approach maddening in (as an astute philosopher friend once put it) its "lack of middle terms."

He repeats "constitutive of our being"--which no one here denies at all--without engaging the real questions personalists of our school have put on the table--I mean those related to selfhood and autonomy.

But I am speaking before I've read the article and had better "stop my mouth."

Tim Cronin

#4, Jan 22, 2012 2:02pm

Freedom and selfhood must always be understood as a gift from God and from others. Being a gift from God and others, and since our being is ordered towards gift also, our freedom is rightly exercised in worship of God and service of God and others.

From the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church:

109. The likeness with God shows that the essence and existence of man are constitutively related to God in the most profound manner.[205] This is a relationship that exists in itself, it is therefore not something that comes afterwards and is not added from the outside. The whole of man's life is a quest and a search for God. This relationship with God can be ignored or even forgotten or dismissed, but it can never be eliminated. Indeed, among all the world's visible creatures, only man has a “capacity for God” (“homo est Dei capax”).[206] The human being is a personal being created by God to be in relationship with him; man finds life and self-expression only in relationship, and tends naturally to God.[207 ]

#5, Jan 22, 2012 8:44pm

Yes.  Right.  Do you think anyone here disputes that?  Can you find anything in Dr. Crosby's essays on JP II's personalism, for instance, that conflicts with the point?

Tim Cronin

#6, Jan 24, 2012 8:19pm

No, I don't think anyone disputes that we are constitutively relational. I post on the subject as it is core to what it means to be a person. Our culture is so trapped in individualism that it is good to remind ourselves of this so as not to be influenced.

#7, Jan 24, 2012 8:40pm

Okay.  I can go with that. :)

It's true that especially Americans tend to have a far too individualist sense of personhood.