#1, Jan 15, 2012 10:25am

Only a purple soul could come up with a post like this!

#2, Jan 15, 2012 10:30am

So, you see?  I was right.

#3, Jan 15, 2012 10:47am

I definitely clash with bright orange.

Samantha

#4, Jan 17, 2012 6:40pm

"But when it occured to me that my soul is purple, it made sense.  Blue and red are my favorite colors.  I am inclined to melancholic rumninating.  The seasons of Advent and Lent speak to me in a particular way."

I like this!  I also identify with your "soul color-" I see myself as red, which is also my favorite color. I do prefer deeper, "melancholic" colors; my wardrobe consists of predominantly black clothing! Now I wonder what colors all my friends are.

#5, Jan 19, 2012 7:37pm

Samantha Schroeder, Jan. 17 at 6:40pm

Now I wonder what colors all my friends are.

Me too!  But I'm having a hard time making any determination at all.  Also about my children.  I wonder why that is?

Colleen Toder

#6, Jan 22, 2012 9:12pm

I'm green and my husband is definitely purple.

#7, Jan 22, 2012 9:14pm

Mama Toad, Jan. 22 at 9:12pm

I'm green and my husband is definitely purple.

Plainly, a very happy combination.

TorahJew

#8, Jan 23, 2012 9:42am

This is a question a man would not ask.

When G-d created the world, he made it separated – heaven and earth, waters above and below. And everything on earth – save for people – springs from that lower world, the world of the physical.

But mankind is the exception. Since it is our job to unite the physical and the spiritual, G-d equipped us with a piece of both worlds. We have both a body and a soul – physical desires and a conscience. Thus G-d created Adam with two distinct acts: “G-d formed the man of dust from the ground, and He blew into his nostrils the soul of life.). And it became Adam’s mission (and then ours) to properly unite our bodies and souls. It is no understatement that the history of every man features the clash between these two very different components of our being.

But Eve was NOT created as Adam was. Eve was not made with two disparate (and opposite) ingredients, but made in one step from the already-joined personage of Adam. I submit that women are primarily different from men because a woman’s body and soul are created in sync.

TorahJew

#9, Jan 23, 2012 9:43am

A woman is far more likely to perceive her appearance as a reflection of her soul. Consequently, the way a woman presents herself tells us a lot more about her very nature. And women thus spend a lot more time on their appearance than men do – because for a man, clothes are what someone wears. For a woman, clothes reflect what they are. So a woman being self-aware about her appearance is not an indication of shallowness. It is a reaction to an intuition that the way she looks is the way she is.

Thus, a man has a much easier time doing something wrong and then insisting that while the act might have been vile, it was not really a reflection on the man himself. It was, after all, just something physical. Men have a much easier time committing crimes without considering themselves to be criminals. Women not only commit much less crime, but they also have much more difficulty separating a physical act from its emotional component. So men can have an illicit relationship without regrets – and without falling in love. Women instinctively connect physical acts with emotional responses: intimacy links to love.

TorahJew

#10, Jan 23, 2012 9:44am

This same understanding answers an age-old question - one that used to drive me nuts: When two men wear the same suit to a party, they are not likely to notice – and if they do, they’d merely compliment the other on their obviously discerning taste. But if two women show up to the same fancy party wearing the same dress, why must one go home and change?

The answer is that every soul is unique – representing another of the infinite facets of G-d himself. So for a woman to wear the identical suit as another one would be a denial of her individuality, of that which makes her holy.

Colleen Toder

#11, Jan 23, 2012 12:43pm

Torah Jew, I can't agree with your first statement, that a man would not ask a question like this. It reminds me of a time when, in a church-related discussion group, a feminist nun started going off on a passage of Scripture and saying that it must have been written by a woman because it was so loving and beautiful.

I would be the first to say that men and women are fundamentally different, and that together we image God, male and female. But there are no fields of human inquiry that are closed off to either sex, and no expressions of beauty that can not be made by either.

TorahJew

#12, Jan 23, 2012 12:53pm

I was being a bit facetious - you are correct that knowledge is available to both sexes. I was just trying to lead into the point that women see themselves differently than do men.

Colleen Toder